Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sandglass and Sovanna Phum in Providence, RI



Last night we attended a performance of Sandglass and Sovanna Phum (Here too)- the culmination of these two artists working together from different cultures, puppetry traditions, and language. What they produced was gorgeous, brilliant, and exceptional. It was a fusion of khmer/American artistry like I haven't seen.

We took Mongkol - and after a quick dinner at Whole Foods, we had a fabulous evening. My camera really sucks at taking indoor photos (probably something stupid about the settings I'm not doing) or maybe it is me. Mongkol, the expert photographer he is, has some beautiful ones here. I used them to create the slide show above.

Mongkol did a great write up here. He points out our meeting with a blog reader who recognized us!

However, that’s not all. While we were waiting for the Q&A session with the artists, we noticed one white guy approaching us from the distance. Surprising us from behind, he said, “Hello Mongkol and Beth! How are you? Mongkol, how are things going with your study?” At first I thought he was Beth’s friend, but yet how did he know my name? Hmmm.. A big question, huh? Only later did I find out that his name was Decker and he was one of our regular blog readers. Decker is from the UK and currently resides in Providence. He loves Cambodia and viewing Cambodia-related blogs is one of his ways to get in touch with Cambodia. Well, what a coincidence! Nice to meet you, Decker! :D I hope to see you again sometimes. :p

I took a lot of video clips and I'm editing them and will post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment