Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fury stuns McDermott in title win


Heavyweight prospect Tyson Fury claimed the English title with a controversial points victory over champion John McDermott at Brentwood Leisure Centre.

The 21-year-old Manchester fighter was awarded the bout 98-92, which left McDermott, 29, stunned at the result.

Fury put the Essex fighter under early pressure with his solid jab.

But McDermott responded well with a late rally and after 10 rounds felt he had done enough, only for referee Terry O'Connor to hold Fury's arms aloft.

The clash was hyped a real grudge match and a rematch looks to be on the cards after such a close call.

But McDermott's promoter Frank Maloney was left fuming at the result, saying on Sky Sports: "I'm sure I will be called up before the (British Boxing) Board for my behaviour but Terry O'Connor is a disgrace to British boxing for what he's done here.

"Why do I want to be in the business when you're getting robbed? At least Dick Turpin has a mask on when he robs you."

But Fury insisted he had done enough to take the belt, adding: "I deserved it. I worked very hard for that. John was a lot harder than I thought he'd be, all credit to him.

"But I thought I worked the harder throughout the fight and I deserved to win. If he wants a re-match, let's get it on. I will stop him next time."



No comments:

Post a Comment